Stephanos Efthymiadis studied Law at the University of Athens (1983) and Greek literature at the University of Crete, Rethymnon (1987). He received his D.Phil. on Byzantine hagiography from the University of Oxford (1992). He has taught Byzantine literature and history in Universities in Greece, Hungary, and France. He has published several books and numerous articles related to Byzantine and Medieval Studies. Since 2007 he has been professor at the Open University of Cyprus.
Title : The Byzantine hagiography of the new martyrs against the Arabs and Islam (7th-19th century)
Hagiography-Byzantine Literature, Relations Between Christianity and Islam in the Middle Ages, History of Palestine in the Middle Ages
- A. Binggeli, S. Métivier (éd.), Les nouveaux martyrs dans l’hagiographie byzantine, Actes du 23ème Congrès international des études byzantines, Belgrade 2016.
- C. Foss, « Byzantine Saints in Early Islamic Syria », Analecta Bollandiana 125 (2007), p. 93-119.
- S. Griffith, « What Has Constantinople To Do with Jerusalem? Palestine in the Ninth Century: Byzantine Orthodoxy in the World of Islam », dans Byzantium in the Ninth Century: Dead or Alive? Papers on the Thirtieth Spring Symposium of Byzantine Studies, Birmingham, March 1996, éd. L. Brubaker, Aldershot 1998.
- R. Hoyland, Seeing Islam as Others Saw It : a Survey and an Evaluation of Christian, Jewish, and Zoroastrian Writings on Early Islam, Studies in Late Antiquity and Islam, 13, Princeton, The Darwin Press, 1997.
- R.I. Moore, The Formation of a Persecuting Society, Blackwell Publishing, Malden, Ma, Oxford, Victoria 1987 (réimpr., 2007).
- A. Papaconstantinou, with N. McLynn (éd.), Conversion in Late Antiquity: Christianity, Islam, and Beyond, Papers from the A.W. Mellon Foundation Sawyer Seminar, University of Oxford, 2009-2010, Ashgate, Farnham-Burlington 2015.
- J. Perkins, The Suffering Self. Pain and Narrative Representation in the Early Christian Era, Routledge, London-New York 1995.
- D.S. Potter, « Martyrdom and Spectacle », dans Theater and Society in the Classical World, éd. R. Scodel, Univ. of Michigan Press, Ann Arbor, Michigan 1993, p. 53-88.
- R. Schick, The Christian Communities of Palestine from Byzantine to Islamic Rule. A Historical and archaeological Study, Princeton 1995.
- T. Sizgorich, Violence and Belief in Late Antiquity. Militant Devotion in Christianity and Islam, Univ. of Pennsylvania Press, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 2009.
- D. Thomas (éd.), Syrian Christians under Islam: The First Thousand Years, Leiden-Boston, Brill, 2001.
- D. Thomas, B. Roggema (éd.), Christian-Muslim Relations. A Bibliographical History. Volume 1 (600-900), History of Christian-Muslim Relations 11, Leiden-Boston, Brill 2009.