Atlas: Ukraine > France
The Fondation Maison des sciences de l’homme (FMSH), and the French Embassy in Ukraine (AFU) offer short-term fellowships of two to three months in France for postdoctoral female researchers from Ukraine who have presented their thesis from 2018.
This research stay is designed to enable researchers to conduct research studies in France: field enquiries, library and archives work.
This call is part of the Atlas short-term postdoctoral mobility programme offered by the FMSH and its partners.
Fellows will receive a total stipend of 2 994 € for a two-month stay (2 instalments paid at the beginning of each month of stay) or 4 491 € for a three-month stay (2 instalments, paid at the signature of the agreement and after one and a half month of stay). This financial contribution is intended to cover expenditures such as transportation costs, accommodation costs and social security coverage costs during the stay.
Thanks to the support of the French Embassy in Ukraine, fellows will be considered as “Boursier du Gouvernement Français” and will benefit from accommodation and social security benefits during their stay (included in the total stipend).
Fellows will also be exempted from visa application fees and will benefits from logistical support to organize their stay while in France (i.e. possibility to have a workspace, issuing of a letter for accessing libraries in France, etc.).
Nationality: This program is open to female researchers originating from Ukraine (nationality is a requirement) and affiliated with an institution of higher education and research or a public or private research institute based in Ukraine.
Educational Degree: Applicants must have obtained their PhD doctorate (“Kandidat” thesis) and presented their thesis from 2018.
Theme: Applicants must be involved in research in social sciences and humanities.
French host institution: Before submitting their application, applicants will have to find a French research institution to host them for the time of their stay. Applicants will have to provide a letter from the hosting institution addressed to the FMSH and the AFU expressing the institution’s willingness to host the applicant during the time of fellowship and explaining the work conditions offered.
At the end of their stay, fellows will have to provide the FMSH and the French Embassy in Ukraine with a report (max 2-3 pages) presenting the work done during their stay and the benefits for their research project.
Applicants will be required to submit an online application form and a scientific dossier (research project + appendices). The online application form will be available on the FMSH website as of 15th January 2024. Completed proposals can be uploaded on the application portal at any time before the application deadline of 18 March 2024, 17:00 (Paris time).
Online application and scientific dossier can be submitted in French or English.
Content of scientific dossier
The research proposal: the research proposal should consist in a short presentation from 10 000 characters to 20 000 characters (spaces and references included) composed of:
- State of the art, problematic, objective and specific aim of the research project, methodology;
- A bibliography;
- The detailed programme of the research stay (places and institutions to be visited, contacts, workplan).
- A Curriculum vitae (2 pages maximum);
- A list of 5 most relevant publications;
- A copy of the PhD diploma;
- A letter from the director of the research institution in the country of origin;
- A letter of invitation from the director of the host research institution in France expressing the institution’s willingness to host the applicant during the time of fellowship and explaining the work conditions they can offer.
How to apply?
- Reach the online application form and enter «Researcher Workspace».
- You have to be registered on the online platform in order to use it. If you haven’t created an account yet, you will be asked to.
- Create your profile by filling all your personal information and then enter “create a new application”.
- Select “Programme Atlas incoming 2024” and then the specific call « FMSH-AFU-CEFR: Ukraine > France ».
- Fill all the information tabs.
- In the “Documents” final tab, you will need to upload your research proposal and the appendices into one single PDF document:
- You can save your application and complete it later several times if you wish, until the closure date of the call for applications. However, we suggest to complete it ahead of the closing day and time to avoid any technical issues. Once you have submitted your application, you will no longer have the possibility to amend it. Once submitted, you will receive an automatic e-mail confirming the successful submission. Applications not fully submitted or incomplete will not be considered.
For any information on the submission platform or in case you meet difficulties to use it, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Research proposal Curriculum vitae (2 pages maximum) List of 5 most relevant publications Copy of the PhD diploma Letter from the director of the research institution in Ukraine Letter of invitation from the director of the host research institution in France
Evaluation process and criteria
A selection committee - composed of members of FMSH, and the AFU, as well as of independent experts - will analyse and proceed to final selection of applications with regards to the following criteria:
- The quality of the scientific dossier and the methodology developed;
- The relevance of a research stay in France for the successful implementation of the scientific project and the candidate curriculum;
- The ability of the candidate to establish profitable scientific contacts in France.
Candidates that have never benefited from the programme will be prioritized.
Opening of the call
January 15th 2024
Deadline for application
17:00 (Paris time), 18th March 2024
Announcement of the results
End of May 2024
Duration of the fellowship
2 or 3 months
Fellowships periods of stay
from September to December 2024. Fellowship should imperatively be completed in the course of 2024.
Number of months offered for this call