Ekaterina Trushkina is currently a Senior Lecturer at Russian Anthropological School of the Russian State University for the Humanities (RSUH) in Moscow. She graduated Lomonosov Moscow State University (MSU), Faculty of Philosophy (2008), and entered postgraduate studies at the Department of Philosophical Anthropology (MSU, 2008-2013). During this period she also worked as a Research Fellow at the Russian Institute for Cultural Research. In 2013, she defended her Ph.D. thesis and began teaching at the RSUH. Since 2010 she is also holding a position of Executive Director of the International Anthropological Film Festival "Days of Ethnographic Cinema".
Title of the project and research interests
«Audiovisual Culture of France: on the Example of Jean Rouch’s Heritage»
The general topic of my research is visual anthropology, its methods and theory on the example of theoretical works and films by famous French anthropologist and filmmaker Jaen Rouch. The Project analyzes the origins and the development of visual anthropology in anthropological tradition and audiovisual culture of France. The goal of the Project is a study of research method of visual anthropology on the example of works and films by Jaen Rouch. The Project is an interdisciplinary and includes several scientific disciplines such as: cultural anthropology, ethnography, philosophy, film and cultural studies, and some other related disciplines.
I am also interested in philosophical and cultural anthropology, film and media studies, audiovisual culture, philosophy and methodology of science on the example of anthropology.
Selected recent publications:
- Visual anthropology in the USSR and post-Soviet Russia: a History of Festival Practices (co-author V. Vasileva)// Aida Vallejo, María Paz Peirano (Eds.), Film Festivals and Anthropology, UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2017
- Anthropology of Visual Communication: History and Methodology// Man and Culture, Moscow, № 6, 2014
- Visual anthropology: Borders and Perspectives, PhD dissertation (Philosophy)//Lomonosov Moscow State University, 2013
- What is Visual Anthropology? The Question of Self-Determination of the Discipline)// ASPEKTY : Articles on the Philosophical Problems of History and Modernity, MSU, Vol. VIII, 2013
- Visual Anthropology in Russia: What was in the Beginning?//Audio-visual anthropology. Cultural Heritage as an Institution of Memory, Moscow: Institute of Heritage, 2012
- Anthropology of Labor and Urban Studies: Prospects of Cooperation//Questions of Cultural Studies, № 10, 2012
- Visual Anthropology: Formation and Evolution// Bulletin of Moscow State University. Series 7 "Philosophy", № 1, 2011