Economist and sociologist, after having been a researcher at the CNRS and having directed a laboratory, Jean-Louis Laville is currently professor of the Conservatoire national des arts et métiers (Cnam) where he holds the chair of solidarity economy. He is also a researcher at the Lise (CNAM - CNRS) at the Institut Francililien de Recherche on Social Innovation (Ifris).
He is a publisher and director of collections at the Éditions Desclée de Brouwer and Erès.
Translated into various languages (Arabic, Korean, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese), this work led him to cooperate regularly with several foreign universities (Buenos Aires, Copenhagen, Lisbon, Louvain-la-Neuve, Montreal, Quito, Salvador of Bahia, Tokyo, etc.) and to be a founding member of the EMES (European Network on the Emergence of Social Enterprise) research network and RILESS (Red de Investigadores Latinoamericanos de Economia Social and Solidaria). He is also a member of the board of directors of the Polanyi Institute of Political Economy and head of the Economic Sociology Research Committee of the International Association of French-Speaking Sociologists (AISLF).
He is also a member of the Scientific Committee and the Policy Committee of several journals, including the Revue française de socioeconomique, the MAUSS journal, Sociologie du travail, and the Nouvelle journal de psychosociologie.
Its analyzes are characterized by a rejection of the compartmentalization between political and economic spheres. They also highlight the relations between the social sciences and political philosophy in order to propose an original approach to the entities of civil society. More broadly, they provide a reflection on the role of these through a re-reading of their history and an international perspective. They lead in particular to an explanation of what associationism is like the social and solidarity economy.
Selected recent books
- Reinventing the Commons in the 21st century - Alter-Economy, Alter - Democracy,2017, Tokyo
- L'économie sociale et solidaire. Pratiques, théories, débats, Seuil, 2016, Paris
- La economia solidaria, Desde Abajo, 2016, Bogota
- Civil Society, the Third Sector and Social Enterprise, Routledge, 2015, Londres et New-York
- Asociarse para el bien comùn, Icaria, 2015, Barcelone
- Les gauches du XXIe siècle. Un dialogue Nord-Sud, Le Bord de l'eau, 2015, Lormont
- Associations et action publique, DDB, 2015, Paris
- L'innovation sociale, Erès, 2014, Paris
- Reinventar la izquierda. Hacia un dialogo Norte-Sur, 2014, IAEN - UNGS, Quito, Buenos Aires
- Socio économie et démocratie. L'actualité de Karl Polanyi, Erès, 2013, Toulouse
- L'association. Sociologie et économie, Fayard-Pluriel, 2013, Paris
- L'économie solidaire, une perspective internationale, réédition, Fayard - Pluriel, 2013, Paris
- La gouvernance des associations, Erès-Poche, 2013, Toulouse
- Diccionario de la otra economia, Universidad Nacional de General Sarmiento, réédition, 2013, Buenos Aires
- Entreprise sociale et insertion, DDB, 2012, Paris
- The Human Economy, Polity Press, 2010, Cambridge
- Dictionnaire de l'autre économie, Gallimard - Folio, réédition, 2010, Paris