Births and Societies
Chair of René Frydman
The aim of this research chair is to create a Centre on births and childhoods that would be a global forum on issues surrounding birth and childhood. A forum open to the world and its traditions and to 21st century medicine, offering a modern view of the traditions, rituals and customs surrounding birth and childhood, the Centre on births and childhoods will be a place for study and research, one that will enable multi-disciplinary work in the field, and meetings of experts in the fields of birth and childhood. The Collège supported, in cooperation with the EHESS, the seminar "Biologie et société" (Biology and society).
- Direction of the "Sociétés et naissances" (Societies and births) seminar series, April-June 2014, Maison Suger, in scientific partnership with the University of Cambridge (Prof. S. Golombok) and the Musée de l’Homme.
- Chairperson at the colloquium "Globalisation et marchandisation du vivant : une nouvelle économie cannibale ?" (Globalisation and commodification of living things: a new cannibal econony?) organised by J.-D. Rainhorn, February 2014, Geneva, Fondation Brocher.
- Direction of the international and interdisciplinary colloquium "Gypsy XIII, L’autre, le semblable, le différent," (Gypsy XIII, The other, the similar, the different), Dec. 2013, Centre Universitaire des Saints Pères.
- "Espoir et crainte en reproduction humaine" (Hope and fear in human reproduction) conference, in partnership with the Gulbenkian Foundation, June 2013.
- Speech at the international colloquium for the 50th anniversary of the Fondation Maison des Sciences de l’Homme (Paris, May 2013), entitled “De l’exacerbation du moi dans la transmission“ (Exacerbation of the self in transmission).
- Participation in the Collège d’études mondiales' annual seminar, May 2014 and May 2015, Maison de l’Amérique latine.