Ole Birk Laursen is a Lecturer in English at New York University London. He has taught and supervised at the University of Oxford, King’s College London, and Queen Mary, University London, and held major research fellowships at universities across Britain and Europe. Interdisciplinary by training, his research concerns the literature and history of South Asia, and Black and South Asian people in Britain and Europe, with a particular focus on anticolonialism and anarchism, from the mid-nineteenth century to the present.
Title: Indian Anticolonialism, Socialism, and Anarchism in France, 1908–1935
Keywords: South Asian history; anticolonialism; socialism; anarchism
- Laursen, Ole Birk, ed., Lay Down Your Arms: Anti-Militarism, Anti-Imperialism, and the Global Radical Left in the 1930s (On Our Own Authority! Publishing, forthcoming 2019)
- Laursen, Ole Birk, ed., M. P. T. Acharya, We Are Anarchists: Essays on Anarchism, Pacifism, and the Indian Independence Movement, 1923-1953 (AK Press, 2019)
- Stadtler, Florian, and Ole Birk Laursen, eds, Networking the Globe: New Technologies and the Postcolonial (Routledge, 2016)
- Malreddy, Pavan Kumar, Birte Heidemann, Ole Birk Laursen, and Janet Wilson, eds, Reworking Postcolonialism: Globalization, Labour and Rights (Palgrave Macmillan, 2015)
- Laursen, Ole Birk, ‘Anti-Colonialism, Terrorism and the “Politics of Friendship”: Virendranath Chattopadhyaya and the European Anarchist Movement, 1910-1927’, Anarchist Studies, 27:1 (2019), 47-62.
- Laursen, Ole Birk, ‘Anarchist Anti-Imperialism: Guy Aldred and the Indian Revolutionary Movement, 1909-1914’, Journal of Imperial and Commonwealth History, 46:2 (2018), 286-303.
- Laursen, Ole Birk, ‘Postcolonial Anarchographics: Re-Drawing History in the Trantraal Brothers’ Crossroads’, SubStance: A Review of Theory and Literary Criticism, 46:2 (2017), 129-146.
- Laursen, Ole Birk, ‘“A Dagger, a Revolver, a Bottle of Chloroform”: Colonial Spy Fiction, Revolutionary Reminiscences and Indian Nationalist Terrorism in Europe’, in Planned Violence: Post/Colonial Urban Infrastructure, Literature and Culture, eds, Elleke Boehmer and Dominic Davies (Palgrave Macmillan, 2018), 255-271.
- Laursen, Ole Birk, ‘Anti-Imperialism’, in The Palgrave Handbook of Anarchism, eds, Carl Levy and Matthew S. Adams (Palgrave Macmillan, 2018), 149-168.
- Laursen, Ole Birk, ‘The Indian Nationalist Press in London, 1865-1914’, in The Foreign Political Press in Nineteenth-Century London: Politics from a Distance, eds, Constance Bantman and Ana Cláudia Suriani da Silva (Bloomsbury, 2017), 175-191.
- Laursen, Ole Birk, ‘“The Bomb Plot of Zurich”: Indian Nationalism, Italian Anarchism and the First World War’, in Anarchism 1914-1918: Internationalism, Militarism and War, eds, Ruth Kinna and Matthew S. Adams (Manchester University Press, 2017), 135-154.